Friday, February 12, 2016

Movie# 43 Every Secret Thing 2015

Anyone who follows me on facebook knows i`m 1) a big fan of documentaries especially those dealing with crime/social. 2) Amy Berg is my favorite documentary filmmaker next to Nick Broomsfield. So when I heard Berg did her first (and only to date) non documentary I was more than alittle curious to check it out.

Movie# 43 Every Secret Thing 2015

First off this movie is dark, which I fully expected since Bergs subject matter tends to be a slice of American life that is bleak and unforgiving. The film echoes a lot of her core themes that her docs. explore such as family, murder, small towns, wrongful conviction and the twists and turns that come out of that. I had a few minor problems, I thought Elizabeth Banks was miscast and it was hard for me to buy her as a hard boiled cop. Not because shes a woman, just because she seems more like she should be in a comedy rather than a serious drama. Her acting is not horrible yet see seems ill at ease in the role and she never quite finds her characters arc. However Judd and Fanning both give much better performances and at times the two have a strange sexual tension which was a subtext that I wonder if the actors worked out or if this was Berg. Either way it worked. I thought some of the film was abit to convenient and she felt that she needed to spell everything out for the audience.  Amy Berg is certainly vastly talented and despite flaws her first non documentary film is a twist and turn drama that will leave you feeling something even if its just depressed. Still its worth checking out but maybe have a comedy to watch afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment